In General

For all types of wedding ceremony, both the bride and groom must produce the following original documents, we advise you to carry all documents in your hand luggage for safe-keeping

  • Full Birth certificates- original copies
  • 10 year British passport valid for at least 6 months after the dates of travel
  • Photocopies of the photograph pages in each passport (including your witnesses passports if applicable)
  • Certificate of freedom to marry -Single Statutory Declaration (or Certificate of No Impediment if you are resident in Scotland or Wales). These documents must be typed, dated and stamped by a registered solicitor (the stamp must include the word “Solicitor”), they are also only valid for 3 months so you will need to obtain them less than 3 months before your return flight. Both bride and groom must obtain separate Declarations and each must be signed and stamped by a solicitor as above. Please make sure that on your Statutory Declaration in the box marked “place of proposed marriage” you put Cyprus. These documents will be retained by the town hall.

Other Documents

  • If either party is divorced the original copy of the Decree Absolute bearing the court stamp. This document will be retained by the town hall, so if you wish to keep a copy make sure that you make one before you arrive in Cyprus. If the bride has been divorced and has reverted to her maiden name this must be stated in the Single Statutory Declaration otherwise she will need to bring her original Marriage Certificate with her as well.
  • If either party is widowed the original copies of the marriage and death certificates of the deceased spouse
  • If adopted- proof of adoption, the original documents are required stamped and signed by a solicitor
  • If either party has changed name proof of deed poll, again the original documents are required stamped and signed by a solicitor
  • If under 21- written consent of parent or guardian in sworn affidavit form

Church Weddings

For Catholic ceremonies in addition to the above both Bride and Groom should produce
  • Baptism certificates and a letter from their parish priest
Important Note:
A Catholic wedding service must be preceded by a civil wedding in order to be legally recognised.

For Anglican ceremonies either the Bride or Groom will need to produce
  • Baptism (Christening) certificate
If either the bride or groom is not a British passport holder, the necessary documentation may vary, we strongly recommend that you contact us as soon as possible

Please note that the local authorities do check the authenticity of documents, failure to produce the correct legal papers will result in the marriage being nullified.

In Capo Bay

Once in Capo Bay you will need to sign the application papers, declaration of oath and obtain the marriage license from the town hall. Your wedding coordinator will meet you in your accommodation at the appointed time and will be able to assist you with this.

If you are having a church wedding you will need to attend an interview with the priest prior to your wedding, you may also be required to attend at least one church service. Again your wedding coordinator will be able to advise you on the time of this meeting.

If you are having a Catholic wedding ceremony, your parish priest will need to send a letter to the Latin Vicar General here in Cyprus along with all other documents relevant to the church wedding. For more information, please contact us.